Christmas Tree Reuse for Backyard Birds
After seeing all of the suggestions for utilizing Christmas trees after the holidays, our family set the tree in our backyard and crafted a variety of treats for birds to hang as ornaments. In addition to helping provide the birds with some extra protein and nourishment in the wintertime, the tree offers a small amount of additional shelter, and extra material for building nests.
For the ornaments, we made:
– Pine cones covered in peanut butter and dipped in birdseed
– Strings of apple and orange slices
– A hanging apple bowl with birdseed and fruit chunks
– Suet chunks covered in extra birdseed (YUM)
– Hanging Spanish moss as tinsel (for extra nesting material)